We have joined forces with the Pet Charity and REPTA to send a leaflet outlining just how great pets are to would-be politicians and to point out that almost half of the voters they meet when canvassing will be living with a pet of some kind. You can read the leaflet in full by clicking on the image below.
- Owners spend around £6 billion a year on their pets, including foods, accessories and veterinary care
- This generates taxes of more than £2 billion annually
- More than 50,000 people are employed in the pet industry
- Pets are good for our health and are estimated to save the NHS at least £2.45 billion every year (likely to be an under-estimate)
- So the benefits of pet ownership, in terms of tax generated and NHS spending spared, is about £4.45 billion a year
Without these benefits the basic rate of income tax would have to go up by a penny in the pound.
Fish are the most populous pet in the UK so we are asking fishkeepers to ask their constituency candidates where they stand on the issue of keeping exotic pets, like tropical fish.