Ponds are a great addition to any garden. They make a fantastic feature and help to attract wildlife.
Pond season is a key feature of the aquatics industry calendar and that makes it a great time to talk to customers about the Be Plant Wise campaign.
This initiative aims to stop the spread of pond and garden plants into the wild, where they can overwhelm native plants and cause problems.
Garden and aquatic plants are great in the right place but the wrong plant in the wrong place can be damaging to the environment. So we need to play our part to make sure customers know what to buy and how to make sure it doesn’t ‘jump’ the garden fence.
That’s why we support the Be Plant Wise campaign from GB Non-Native Invasive Species Secretariat (GBNNSS) and would encourage all retailers to get behind the campaign too.
What can you do?
- Display Be Plant Wise information in your store – you can download materials here or email GBNNSS for a hard copy pack.
- Talk to customers when you sell aquatic plants so they know what to do when it comes to maintaining their ponds. There’s lots more information here to help.
- Display the logo prominently on your website.
- Share information about the campaign on your social media channels when you talk about ponds.
- Why not write a blog for your website sharing top tips for customers? Find more here.