We have 18 Directors who volunteer their time and expertise to be a board member. Each year, six Directors stand down and we ask for nominations from our membership.
What’s involved in being a Director?
- Directors are expected to attend the four board meetings a year. These meetings are held on a Wednesday (usually in Jan/Feb, April, July & October/November) at The Manor at Weston-on-the-Green, Oxfordshire, OX25 3QL. Because Directors come from across the UK we have chosen this venue because it’s central for everyone.
- Board meetings usually start at about 9.30am and finish by, or before, 3pm, although occasionally they can be longer if there’s a heavy agenda. We also expect Directors be prepared – you’re sent all the paperwork two weeks beforehand so you’ll have plenty of time. Then it’s a case of bringing your expertise and knowledge to contribute to the debate.
- You may also be asked to join working groups on particular subjects which may require extra meetings or commitment.
- Between Board meetings our Directors are a valuable sounding board for OATA staff so expect emails and phones calls from the office asking for advice and your opinions.
- All Directors must:
- work for a company that is an OATA member
- sign a Code of Conduct
- register as a Director of OATA Ltd at Companies House (the OATA office will organise this)
How do I nominate myself?
We want our Board to represent the whole industry, from retailers to manufacturers, from importers to wholesalers. So we’re seeking experienced and senior employees or business owners from all parts of the industry. You will need another OATA member to propose you.
- Fill in the nomination form, completing your details and ask your proposer to sign as well. Nomination forms are sent out with notification of the AGM.
- Send the form to OATA by post or scan it in and send it by email (we need to see the signature of you and your proposer) by the closing date. Our postal address is OATA LTD, Wessex House, 40 Station Road, Westbury, Wiltshire, BA13 3JN and our email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- You are more than welcome to canvas support among other OATA members before the ballot but this must obviously be done in a fair, open and honest way!
- All OATA members are sent voting forms before the AGM for completion and return by a set date. Alternatively, OATA members are welcome to attend our AGM and cast their vote in person.
Annual General Meeting
Our AGMs normally take place in the autumn at The Manor at Weston-on-the-Green, Oxfordshire, OX25 3QL. All OATA members are welcome and if you’d like to attend then please drop us an email.
Want more information?
If you’d like to have a chat about joining the Board or finding out about our New Blood system which enables interested people to see how the Board works before nominating themselves phone our Office Manager Ray Valovec on 01373 301353.