What do we do?
We are the only trade association in the UK solely dedicated to protecting and promoting the interests of the aquatic industry. Our objective is to help businesses to keep fully stocked with a wide range of products and fish to sell, and to equip you with helpful deals and information so you can run your business successfully. Our work aims to enhance the reputation of the trade by promoting the benefits derived from it, setting high standards, providing good education and training, and encouraging responsible ownership and enjoyment amongst fish keepers.
Why businesses should join us
There’s strength in numbers. Your support is vital to our continued success. Our membership is open to UK businesses involved in the industry* and by joining as a member you’re helping to keep your industry alive:
- We make your voice heard at local, European and even global levels because we represent a broad range of businesses involved in our industry.
- Practical help and information to help you run your business more successfully and be better informed
- Free legal help at the end of a phone line when you need some advice fast
- A free audit of your insurance arrangements to take the hassle out of getting the best cover
- Discounts on our training packages
*Because we are a trade association, membership is only available to businesses involved in the UK aquatic industry. We would encourage any business outside of the UK to consider joining Ornamental Fish International, which represents the industry worldwide, or your own country’s trade association if there is one.
What does membership buy me?
Your membership support helps us to do our work on your behalf, such as:
- Lobbying and challenging UK, European and world bodies/governments to make sure fish, plants, invertebrates, dry goods and medications remain available for sale
- Offering high quality training/qualification packages on fish-keeping for staff and individuals which are recognised by local authorities
- Helping you to keep up-to-date with the latest news that could affect your business through our monthly e-newsletter and the broad range of information on our website
- Seeking to promote high standards of husbandry and welfare within the industry with our Code of Conduct
- Finding deals to help retailers in their business, such as our credit-card machine scheme, dispute resolution service, free legal helpline and insurance broker audits
- Promoting the hobby of fishkeeping through our online videos, social media and work with the press
Find prices & join online
Find out our joining fees for all our categories of membership.
Don’t want to join online?
Download the relevant joining form below, fill it in and return by post to
OATA (Ornamental Aquatic Trade Association)
40 Station Road
Wiltshire BA13 3JN
Membership of OATA is at the discretion of the OATA Board which will make the final decision. Full voting membership is confirmed once the signed agreement of the Code of Conduct and any related paperwork has been returned to the OATA office and a membership pack has been sent to you.